top of page

Villa Held At Home

Ashville made it six unbeaten but failed to take the three points against Stockport Georgians.

The sun was beaming at Ray Parker Stadium as Ashville were held to a goalless draw by Stockport Georgians.

It wasn't a game without chances as evidenced on 12 minutes when Peter Morgan pressed James Hodges, nearly dispossessing the keeper with the net wide open. His challenge resulted in a foul but it was a statement of intent from Villa.

Four minutes later and a looping ball over the top to Greenop gave the striker his first opportunity to get in behind the Georgians back line. Greenop spun the defender and took an early snap shot towards the near post. Hodges was scrambling but Greenop's effort went the wrong side of the post.

It was a period of sustained pressure from Villa as just a minute later Greenop was at it again, this time cutting in from the left. His placed shot was pushed wide by Hodges for a Villa corner.

It wasn't until the half hour mark though that Ashville had another real opportunity on the visitors goal. Once again Ben Greenop found himself in behind, he looked to take the ball around Hodges but the ball ran away from him. Hodges gathered the ball but Villa were getting closer.

Less than a minute later however, the visitors nearly stole the lead. A silly foul by Farrall on the edge of the Ashville box saw the captain go into the book. The resulting free kick was scooped well over. Villa getting a reprieve.

Evans was next up to try his luck for Ashville, Courtnell playing him in behind on the left. Evans beat his man and took his shot early. Like Greenop's effort earlier on his effort caught Hodges off guard but went the wrong side of the post.

Stockport Georgians started the second half the better team and nearly got their rewards on 53 minutes when a long range shot that looked destined for the corner was spectacularly saved by Dixon.

Greenop got another bite at the cherry on 66 minutes when a Villa free kick was floated into the box. The clubs top scorer got his head to it but it was deflected wide for a corner.

3 minutes and a drinks break later, Villa were at it again. Substitute, Lewis Moynes, cutting inside from the right and beating two men before firing his low shot into the hands of Hodges.

The subs were keen to make an impact, Tom Hartley this time picking up a clearance before trying his luck from 30 yards out. His effort went wide but it was only the beginning of a late flurry of pressure from the hosts.

It was another defender who thought he'd won it though. Shaun Farrall getting his head to a free kick but his powerful header was misdirected and went wide.

With a minute left to go Ashville were denied a chance to win the game when Peter Morgan was tripped inside the area. The officials didn't see things the same way however and the penalty appeals were ignored entirely.

With seconds remaining in the clock, Ashville had one last chance in them. Ben Greenop creating some room for a curling effort on the edge of the box. It had Hodges beaten but it went agonisingly wide.

That was the last action of a very hot and humid day at Ray Parker Stadium, Ashville will feel aggrieved not to if won it but a point is a point and it extends Villa's unbeaten run now to six.

You can catch Ashville in action at Ray Parker Stadium again next weekend, when they host Stafford Town. Tickets can be bought online via the clubs website.

0 views0 comments
bottom of page