top of page

Pedestrian Performance Leads To Villa Defeat

Ashville's unbeaten run came to an end at the hands of Stafford Town.

On a somber day for the club, Ashville saw their 6 game unbeaten run come to an end against lowly Stafford Town at Ray Parker Stadium.

Prior to kick off the club paid its respects to Jessica Kennedy, the daughter of Club Secretary Lynn Kennedy and a much loved member of the clubs match day bar staff. Jess passed away suddenly and unexpectedly earlier this week, her untimely loss will be felt for a long time to come. Both sets of players, coaches, staff and supporters participated in a minutes applause to celebrate Jessica's life.

Once the game was underway, it was Villa who went after an early goal. Just 3 minutes in, Ben Greenop worked the ball well before laying it off for Lewis Moynes, the winger firing his shot over.

Greenop went from almost supplier to almost scorer with his mis-timed header from Peter Morgan's cross. A bright start for Ashville.

On 11 minutes Ashville had their best opportunity of the game thus far, only denied a goal by some superb goalkeeping. Willingham fired from range but Cory Mallen got down well to parry the shot. Mallen's parry only went as far as Moynes though, the winger making his first start since returning from injury, he fired an effort at the Stafford goal but Mallen got up quickly to complete an incredible double save.

The remainder of the first half was pretty quiet and shy of notable incident.

The second half began with a bang though as just less than 10 minutes after the restart Villa won a penalty. Ben Greenop converted from the spot to give Villa a lead against the run of play.

That wouldn't last long however as just 3 minutes later Shaun Farrall tripped a Stafford player in the box. Matt Hearsey smashed the ball home from 12 yards to level the score.

On 66 minutes Stafford were down to ten, Cartwright seeing a second yellow for a coming together in the middle of the pitch.

With a little over 15 minutes to go, Stafford scored what would prove to be the winner. A free kick from the left finding the head of Hearsey who yet again found the back of the net.

Ashville tried to get back level to no avail. Maldon and Hardman both seeing long range shots go wide and over respectively in the final 10 minutes.

Those would be the final notable moments from a lacklustre game from Ashville, seeing defeat for the first time in 7 games.

Ashville look to get back to winning ways, in their huge Isuzu FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round tie against FC St Helens next weekend at Ray Parker Stadium. Tickets can be bought online at

0 views0 comments
bottom of page