top of page

Greenop The Hero As Villa Rescue A Point

Ben Greenop scored a 94th minute equaliser to earn Ashville a point in Manchester.

It was a typically physical encounter at Brantingham Road in a game where Ashville will feel like they should of come away with 3 points.

It took Villa only 5 minutes to make the first threat on the host's goal as Max Williams skilfully beat his man on the left side before playing the ball inside to Nathan Haynes, the midfielder then unleashed a ferocious effort from 25 yards out but his effort went narrowly over the bar but it was a positive sign of intent from Ashville.

5 minutes later and Villa were at it again, this time it was Morgan causing problems down the left. The winger drew the first of many fouls after Ben Greenop turned the Maine Road right back inside out. Max Williams tried to catch the keeper out on his near post but put too much on it and the ball sailed over the bar.

Just over twenty minutes in and Ashville were almost rewarded for their hard work. Greenop chased down a back pass to the keeper who scuffed his clearance to Nathan Haynes who played it back to Greenop. The in-form striker created room for a shot but pulled it agonisingly wide.

Another free kick for Villa gave Max Williams another opportunity to find the target. Greenop was felled on the edge of the area after some good work by Nathan Haynes in the middle. Max Williams stepped up and almost planted the ball in the top corner, leaving the keeper rooted to the spot. His effort went inches wide but Ashville were getting closer and could smell blood.

With half time approaching the visitors really put their foot on the gas. This time it was Joe Dulson drawing a foul down the right hand side. Williams put in another excellent delivery but despite a goalmouth scramble, nobody in a red shirt could poke the ball home.

Maine Road came out of the halftime break eager to take back some control in the game and nearly broke the deadlock 10 minutes into the second half. Some smart one touch play on the edge of the area saw a ball across the six yard box find an attacker with the goal at his mercy. The ball found the back of the net but the offside flag went up to extinguish any celebrations.

It was a sign of things to come though and this time Ashville wouldn't be so lucky. A free kick caused a goalmouth scramble and unlike Ashville in the first half, the hosts found the back of the net to take the lead through Francesco Frangillo.

The game became heated with a couple of small flare ups threatening to put a sour note on the night. Ashville nearly prevailed 10 minutes later as substitute, Tom Davies, played Parrington in behind. The Ashville striker got one on one but couldn't find a way past the keeper.

Tired legs started to show but Ashville kept pushing. With just ten minutes to go, Nathan Haynes, who had a superb game, flicked the ball on for Greenop who raced through one on one. Greenop put the ball over the keeper and over the bar in search for his fifth goal of the season.

6 minutes of added time, thanks to the hosts persistent time wasting, gave Ashville an opportunity to steal a point and the visitors duly obliged. Four minutes into the indicated six and Tom Davies beat his man to a knock on by Parrington on the right hand side. Davies put a beauty of a ball into the back post for Greenop to head home his fifth goal of the season, rescuing a point in the process.

And so the whistle went to end an entertaining game and Ashville travel back home from Manchester with a point in the bag.

Ashville are back at home this weekend against Barnton at Ray Parker Stadium in a 3pm kick off. Tickets for this fixture can be bought in advance at

0 views0 comments
bottom of page