top of page

Ashville Progress to Macron Cup Quarter Final

Villa defeated Stockport Georgians 2-0 to set up a quarter final tie at Droylsden.

Ashville looked like a team rejuvenated in this lively encounter, starting the game well and dominating the early phases. The only thing Villa didn't manage to do was capitalise on this dominance by sticking the ball in the back of the net.

The game swung even further in the away sides favour on 28 minutes when Atkinson was sent off for using excessive force in a 50-50 challenge with Peter Morgan.

Morgan would be at the centre of even more controversy just 4 minutes later when he was taken out in the Georgians box. The whistle went but the decision went against Morgan who was booked for simulation, a decision that even the Georgians dugout questioned but alas the game continued.

The closest either side had gotten to scoring in the opening 40 minutes was courtesy of Jack Parry. Parry beat two men in the edge of the area but the greasy conditions meant he scuffed his shot over the bar.

Georgians would hit back with a chance of their own in stoppage time when star forward, Adam Dahou, found a rare pocket of space in the middle of the park and drove to the corner of the Ashville area before pulling his effort wide across goal.

Goalless at the break then but hardly a boring game with both sides going hammer and nail at each other, Ashville having the upper hand for the majority.

It wouldn't take long for drama to arise in the second half however...

Jack Parry was fouled in front of the dugouts but as he fell the striker hastily grabbed the ball before the referee had blown his whistle. The whistle did indeed get blown but the decision was handball against Parry. It would be what happened whilst Parry was on the floor though that would incense Villa. A Georgians player booting the striker in the back when the ball was nowhere near playable nearly sparked a brawl. This offence went unpunished, a decision that didn't go down well with Villa but they soon regained their composure and went seeking for the opening goal.

They would have a golden chance less than 60 seconds later when Connor Courtnell found Shaun Parrington with a cross but the veteran forward couldn't get his header on target.

Courtnell would create an even better chance for the away side on 54 minutes with a fizzing drive through the alley of uncertainty across the six yard box but much to Gary Jones' frustration none of his players gambled for an easy tap in.

Ashville fell a little flat after this and Georgians, to their credit, started to control the tempo. The man disadvantage stifled the plucky home side though and Villa would eventually take the lead on 72 minutes. Jack Parry finding just enough space to turn his man inside out before firing a low cross into the six yard box for Joe Dulson who managed to scramble the ball over the line.

Villa regained their dominance after the goal and were threatening another but poor crossing would be their undoing.

Georgians finally put together a dangerous attack against the run of play with ten minutes to go and won themselves a corner. The corner caused all sorts of problems for the Ashville back line who struggled to get the ball clear but as the old saying goes, anything can happen in football. A blocked shot came back out to Lewis Moynes on the edge of the Ashville area and one pinpoint pass was all it took to find Peter Morgan who's first touch was nothing short of sublime as he left his marker for dust as he marched towards goal. The forward clinically put the ball past Graham to round off a lightning quick counter attack and effectively put the tie to bed.

Stockport Georgians deserved a lot of credit though for their fight and determination even after the second goal had gone in. They did put Ashville under some pressure in the final stages although to no avail.

Their woes would only worsen though as a second red card would be shown, this time to Paul Beresford for a second bookable offence. The decision felt a harsh one but it was almost the perfect ending to Stockport's tragedy.

It almost got even worse as Jack Parry pounced on a poor kick from Luke Graham before rounding the keeper but Graham managed to force Parry wider than he would of liked and his left footed effort was just about scrambled off the line by a retreating defender.

It was a thorough and complete performance from Ashville, their best of the season you could argue. The victory in Stockport now sets up a tantalising quarter final tie away at Droylsden next weekend in front of what is expected to be a bumper crowd.

94 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page