top of page

Ashville Exit Cheshire Senior Cup

Ashville were narrowly beaten by National League North outfit, Warrington Town.

A bumper crowd descended on Ray Parker Stadium for a David Vs Goliath Cheshire Senior Cup tie as Ashville hosted Warrington Town.

The game was a cagey affair with few opportunities with just the one goal on the night. The first real half opportunity of note came 14 minutes in when Warrington keeper, George Goudie, came well out of his goal to clear a through ball designed for Ben Greenop. The clearance barely reached midfield though, Nathan Haynes attempting a half volley from around 40 yards which sliced wide.

Just after the half hour mark Villa nearly took the lead in what would prove to be their best effort of the night. An inswinging corner was met by a flurry of heads at the near post with two attempts being cleared off the goal line amidst the scramble.

Warrington's first effort of a late first half barrage was from eventual goal scorer, Aaron Bennett, from range but was easily dealt with by stand in goalkeeper, Dylan O'Brien. O'Brien was called up in the warm up to replace regular number one, Michael Dixon, who fell ill.

Into the second half we went, both sides coming out with a fresh vigour in hunt of the elusive first goal.

It took ten minutes of the second half for Ashville's next half opportunity. Another inswinging corner, more chaos inside the Warrington box. This time it was cleared after two blocked attempts and still we waited for the games first goal.

We wouldn't be waiting long though as on the hour mark Aaoron Bennet curled an effort from 20 yards past a helpless O'Brien. The goal came about after Ashville lost the ball in defence, the heavy pitch no doubt playing a considerable role.

Ashville almost levelled it up just three minutes later. Ben Greenop exchanged passes with Nathan Haynes in the edge of the area before Haynes curled an effort just wide.

There was no criticising Ashville's work rate, the home side controlled the majority of the second half and will be disappointed to not of capitalised.

On the 75th minute mark O'Brien pulled out a wonderful diving save to prevent the game running away from the hosts.

A raft of changes followed as Gary Jones looked ahead to Saturday's massive FA Vase tie at home to South Liverpool. These changes nearly paid dividends on 84 minutes when Peter Morgan beat his man on the left before firing a low cross into the feet of substitute, Joe Dulson, the young forward taking it first time but saw his effort go narrowly wide of the visitors upright.

Ashville would give it one last bite if the cherry in the dying seconds when another substitute, Tom Hartley, tried recreating his wonderful half volley from earlier in the season. Unfortunately for Villa, the left back couldn't make lightning strike twice.

And so ends Ashville's run in this years Cheshire Senior Cup. It was a battling performance against a team much further up the pyramid and they will count themselves unlucky to not go through after their recent cup form.

Ashville are next in action on Saturday, when they host South Liverpool in a Merseyside derby at Ray Parker Stadium in the Isuzu FA Vase Third Round. A win for Ashville would see them equal the clubs record by reaching the Fourth Round, the last time that happened was 18 years ago when they fell at the hands of Buxton.

Ashville are expecting a big crowd on Saturday with tickets already flying out. If you want to be there you can buy tickets online via the club website or pay on the day.

0 views0 comments
bottom of page