top of page

100% Home Record Ends For Ashville

Ashville fell by two goals to nil at home to Barnton in a sluggish performance

Ashville's 100% home winning record came to a lethargic end on Saturday after a goal in each half saw the visitors take all three points.

It only took Barnton 15 minutes to take the lead at Ray Parker Stadium as Villa conceded from yet another set piece. This time it was a corner that was left to drop in at the back post, Harvey Woodhouse was more than happy to accept the gift by tapping the ball into the back of the net.

Ashville never really got going, despite controlling possession. The home side did create a chance on 26 minutes however, a short corner 1-2 routine between Williams and Davies saw the formers cross find Parrington, unfortunately the target man couldn't keep his header down.

A sluggish first half ended without any further incident, fans and coaches alike hoping the half time break would give Villa an opportunity to reset and chase an equaliser.

The signs were looking good as just a minute into the restart Villa won a free kick by the halfway line, a short pass to Davies saw the winger get a cross away but the blustery conditions decided not to work in the hosts favour, Davies' cross being carried over by the wind.

Just two minutes later though the visitors nearly doubled their lead, some tricky wing play ending with Dixon being forced into a low save on his near post.

Just 5 minutes later and Ashville nearly created something out of nothing. A looping clearance caught the Barnton back line on their heels, forcing the keeper to activate sweeper mode but his clearance was scuffed to Louis White. The Ashville midfielder, looking to score for the second home game in a row, tried the spectacular; a first time volley from 45 yards with the keeper still well off his line. Fortunately for the visitors, White got a bit too much purchase on the shot and it sailed comfortably over.

Ashville once again had almost all of the possession but couldn't find that killer final ball. Set pieces seemed a far more likely route to an equaliser, Danny Hardman's free kick from the right was fizzed beautifully across the six yard box, just begging for a slight touch that never came.

Ashville had yet another glorious chance just three minutes later. A marauding run from Hardman eventually for the ball out to Davies, an almost perfect cross finding a completely unmarked Greenop who headed narrowly wide.

Ten minutes later and the visitors nearly made something out of almost nothing, a looping ball forward intelligently flicked onto the post by Sam Smith from 16 yards almost being a goal of the season contender.

Just two minutes later and Ashville nearly had the all important leveller. They nearly got it after a stunning cross from Sean Wilson was glanced goalwarss from Greenop. Sadly it wasn't to be the star strikers afternoon as his glancing header skimmed inches wide of the far post.

Ashville's mistakes would cost them dearly though as the visitors wrapped the game up with four minutes to go. A smart switch from right to left found Kieran Curtis with nothing but green grass ahead of him. The Barnton striker charged towards goal, shifting the ball onto his right foot before slotting a deflected effort over Dixon to make it 2-0.

Ashville will hope to improve their fortunes on Tuesday at home to Winsford United before the huge FA Vase game against New Mills at the weekend. Tickets for both games can be bought at

0 views0 comments
bottom of page